What’s Holding Your Business Back and a Simple Fix You Can Implement Right Now
Everyone is born creative and given a box of crayons.
Then, around the age of 7 your crayons are taken away and replaced with books filled with algebraic nonsense, premature teachings, one sided history and lackluster leadership. Great training for when you grow up. <-Sarcasm
Make no mistake, running a business is the expression of your desire to be creative. Being hit by the creative bug is your pre-algebraic kid screaming “give me my crayons back”.
Here is what your algebraic inner-voice sounds like:
- If I built it, will they come?
- If I write a screenplay, will it sell?
- If I write a book, will it get published?
- If I develop new software, will it find enough clients to make me….Bill Gates?
- If I write an article, will anyone comment?
- If I start a business that I actually care about and enjoy doing; will the business fail?
This is your adult voice speaking. You’ve listened to it so far and where did it get you?
What’s worse, this voice is not even yours. It’s the voice of your teachers, parents, bosses, religious figures, and all manner of other seldom well intentioned and always misguided malarkey.
Your pre-algebraic voice is telling you to do it and enjoy the process. Listen to this voice. If you don’t it will die and take the best part of you with it.
They are only crayons. You didn’t fear them when you were a kid, why fear them now. ~ Hugh MacLeod
How do you know you’re on the right path?
If you hear a voice saying:
- This is totally stupid
- This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever done
- This is utterly moronic
- This is a complete waste of time.
I’m going to do it anyway.
If you hear that voice, you’re on the right path. Congratulations.
How will express yourself right now?
Other posts in this series: