Reverse Engineering a Microsoft Windows 7 Commercial – Video
If commercials were jokes, then Microsoft’s Windows 7 PC commercial -which I’m about to show you- would be a 30 seconds long joke with 25 seconds of setup and 5 seconds long punchline.
The “setup” is designed to do two things.
- Occupy our rational brain with facts (dogs protect us, extend our lifespan, improve our health, etc.)
- Distract our rational brain long enough to allow our emotional brain to get into the “right state of mind”
The right state of mind in this case is to produce warm and fuzzies.
The relative importance of the “feeling” we get while watching the commercial is perfectly illustrated in the time allotted for the emotional setup vs. MS logo visibility (25 seconds/5 seconds).
Learn from marketing experts to see how you can apply the same method to your brand, product or company.
See for yourselves:
If you liked that, you’re gonna love this:
- Reverse Engineering Dead Space Commercial
- Reverse Engineering the State Farm Commercial
- Reverse Engineering the MGD 64 Beer Commercial