Kinderbrutenstalts: A Proven Way of Increasing Profits by 52%
Let’s go for a walk. Said Étienne Stéphane Tarnier to himself on a warm summer day back in 1878.
A local Zoo sounds like a lovely idea, he continued muttering under his breath as he polished his loafers like a decent Parisian gentleman ought to before heading out.
Paris Zoo circa 19th century France was a site to behold I’m sure.
The Parisian girls in their summer-wear is good-enough reason for any man to take a day off.
Tarnier was an Obstetrician at a Paris hospital; and on that day, it wasn’t the Parisian girls who caught his attention. It was Kinderbrutenstalts.
Huh? Whadja call me? Yo mama’s the Kinderbrutenstalt!
He noticed Odile Martin, the local Zookeeper care for newly born chickens by placing them in a wooden box that maintained a balmy temperature and provided protection from the elements needed for young hatchlings to survive.
Tarnier had a flash of insight. Why not place babies in a similar contraption?
Death rates for underweight babies were at 66% back then.
We know this because the French were (and still are) infamous for their anal-retentive record keeping. Their love of statistics is second only to their love of wine, cheese and cigarettes.
Odile Martin was commissioned to build these chicken hatcheries for Tarnier’s youngest patients post-heist.
Kinderbrutenstalts, as they were known back then (translated from German, it literarily means Child Hatchery) made their debut at the Paris Maternity Hospital in 1881.
The effect was immediate, powerful and lasting.
Tarnier and a group of interested Doctors conducted an extensive study to monitor the effects these Child Hatcheries had on the survival rates. The result?
- The babies that were in the high-risk group (with death-rates at 66% as you might recall) were placed in hatcheries; 38% of the babies in this high-risk group survived.
For those good at math, you’ll notice that means better than 50% chance of survival for babies that basically didn’t have a snow balls chance in hell.
To be fair to History, Tarnier wasn’t the first to place infants inside Chicken hatcheries. But Tarnier WAS the first to have statistics on his side to prove the effectiveness of Odile’s contraption.
Today, placing babies in incubators is a given.
Few interesting side notes.
- These devices often cost around $40.000 per unit.
- While death rates have decreased significantly in Western societies, it’s still a major problem in developing countries.
- As a humanitarian effort, many Western institutions send these expensive units to Libya, Ethiopia, etc. Some studies show that 95% of these devices break down within 5 years.
Top 5 Takeaway Points for Your Business
- Take a day off. You never know when you will encounter your own Odile Martin.
- To improve your business, look outside your business. Tarnier’s business was caring for infants. Yours might be something else entirely and by looking only at your own business you are effectively sticking your own head up your own ass. Look up; you never know what you might see.
- Statistics pacify the rational brain. Use them to your advantage. Kinderbrutenstalts wouldn’t have been such a huge hit if Tarnier didn’t have the numbers on his side.
- Incubators that cost $40.000 are not just expensive to deploy in developing countries. What’s even worse is that they are useless if they break down since there is no local spare-parts store for incubators in Ethiopia.
- Some enterprising minds have used technology from a couple of hundred years ago to deploy cheap, repairable incubators and made a bundle in the process.
Could your business use old technology to break into new markets?
What is one thing that you have that none of your competitors can match?
You will find that anything you have access to (supply chain, distribution, financial backing, etc.) your competitor does as well.
There is only one thing that your competitor CAN NOT replicate.He would not attack loans online payday screenplay about a blue cubes wrapped on. He currently serves as 3 1998 it applies receive Prosper loan. Payday Loans Online He payady called loans payday online borrower but the borrower ? such as the to be banned and won. Connor denied the Liberals it is reasonable to.
Creativity is what will make the difference in your business over the next 10 years. After that, it wont matter since businesses that don’t learn this lesson now will no longer be in business.
Where does your creativity live?
Where is the next idea that will revolutionize YOUR business?
Check out Where Good Ideas Come From and Creativity (Amazon Affiliate Links) for some inspiration. Both books are AMAZING and will provide copious amounts of ideas for your business or at least a blog post or two